Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Short Biography

Hello, my name is Stephanie Harmon. I am a new student at Columbia Teacher's College. I will be working toward my MA in Severe and Multiple Disabilities. I have a fair amount of experience in the education world. I taught both regular and special education in Memphis, TN for three years. Before teaching, I collected various certifications and worked as a paraprofessional across the United States.

On a more personal note, I am married to a brilliant scientist, Michael, and have an adorable though somewhat portly dog named Domino. I am originally from Arkansas (birthplace of the greatest American president). My favorite book is "Of Human Bondage" by Somerset Maugham, and my favorite movies are "Annie Hall" and "Harold and Maude". I listen to jazz, Nick Drake, David Gray, and most recently The Frames. I love to RUN!

I have already learned a substantial amount from this course, as I now have a blog. I hope to learn about strategies that will improve the academic achievement and quality of life of my students.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Welcome Stephanie and I am happy to know you are married to a "brilliant scientist" and I would love to see a picture of Domino.

So, you are from Ak . . . I'm from Memphis, Tn. how crazy is that . . . we are practically neighbors. What school(s) did you work in in Memphis?

Thanks for checkin' in and I invite you to visit and post to your peers' blogs. The link may be found w/in Bb.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Stephanie ... thrilled to have you onboard with us. Sounds like you're going to be the student that 'keeps us honest' about classroom implementation. We're looking forward to your 'real world' input to our course.

Junior P said...

I also found the information on brain research and how it relates to different learning styles to be very interesting. As such, I too hope that this insight into how people learn will influence and change the approach that is used to teach the different type of learners in today’s classroom.