Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What Brain Research Tells Us About Learner Differences

I found chapter two to be very interesting. The brain is considered to be the final frontier, medically speaking, since so little is actually known about this organ. Not long ago, people were placed into one of two categories: right brain or left brain dominant. So, a person could either be creative or analytical. I enjoy reading about the new discoveries, and this is a very rich time for brain research. The implications will be wide reaching in the fields of medicine and education. There was a tremendous amount of information in this chapter. The discussion of the three networks (recognition, strategic, and affective), their functions, the interconnectedness, and the educational significance provided a great deal of insight into the different learning modalities. This information will be very useful for students in both regular and special education settings. The more educators learn about how individuals acquire, retain, and use information, the better classroom instruction will become.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie (and others):
If you were to go into brain research, what would you study? What questions about how human minds work intrigue you?

Personally, I'm interested in imagination. I wonder about the developmental process of imagination. I presume that infants think and dream only of things they've actually experienced. At what stage does a child begin to have dreams about things that have never happened? We know that quite small children can pretend, can make up stories, and so on. Does this ability precede their ability to express themselves in language? How far does it precede?
Of course, I have no clue how one would actually study such an issue!