Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Why We Need Flexible Instructional Media

The section "Reading Text-The Role of the Affective Networks" in chapter three was especially interesting and personally meaningful. I think experienced readers all too often take for granted the ease with which we can attribute meaning and emotion to implied situations within text. I can see very clearly, after reading about how the different networks may or may not be processing certain information, the benefits of including forms of digital media in instruction. While teaching beginning and emerging readers I noticed the varying abilities and proclivities within the student body. I tried to include as many different reading environments (including both traditional and digital media) as possible to accommodate a diverse population. However, I was not aware of the underlying causes for the learning differences. Many individuals have difficulty ascribing emotional value to text. Including multiple types of media would enable students to manipulate the information as needed. This is both an effective and efficient way of individualizing instruction. Giving students the flexibility of modifying instructional content would also increase the motivation to learn and explore material.

No comments: