Friday, November 16, 2007
Chapter Six
Chapter six details specific instructional strategies that address each of the three networks. I really like the statement that our understanding of learning and teaching is constantly changing. This can also be said of our understanding of brain functioning. As more is discovered about how different individuals acquire, process, retain, and utilize information, instructional approaches will improve. I found three prominent words in chapter six: multiple, flexible, and choices. In multiple, the idea is to provide a variety of ways in which information is presented. Flexible refers to the ways in which learners access the information. Lastly, choices refer to students having options throughout the learning process. "Choices" is a key factor in motivation. Motivation can determine whether or not a student will apply his or herself to learning the given information. Finally, I can appreciate the idea that while we all share a common goal, each student must reach this goal by following his or her own path.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Stephanie!
I absolutely agree with what you said in the last line of your post. I said something similar in my blog about how making students active participants in their education does not mean you are handing over all control to them and are letting them learn whatever they want. Instead what it means is that with communication and a shared common goal, the students can be free to discover and learn on their own through choices provided by the teacher which will make us teachers happy and will benefit those students by giving them confidence and motivation
So many choices! Well not really, especially in an academic setting. I totally agree with the idea that students need choices, and, that these choices cultivate motivation. I wish I had more choices in school!
Post a Comment